Menu

Newville Borough



Departments

Friendship Hose Company of Newville CO 47

2014 Officers:
Operations:Fire Chief George L. Bigler, III, Deputy Chief Joel E. Griffie, Asst. Chief David Bobb, Captain Bradley Stouffer, Lt. Jake Griffie, Lt. Nathan Bigler.
Administrative: President Troy L. Wiser, Vice President Rick Griffie,  Treasurer Nancy Baker
EMS: Chief Darci Newcomer, Deputy Chief: Kristen Brown, Asst. Chief Renee’ Shively.

The fire department service began in Newville back in the year of 1732, when the Laughlin Brothers settled in the area.

There are no records available as to when the fire company was organized, however, from the people talking and letters located, it was mentioned and remembered before 1840.

The first fire engine was known as “JUNO”, a hand pumper, and the first firehouse was located on the southwest corner of the Old Newville School grounds. It was reported that Juno was destroyed in a fire at the firehouse in 1856.

The second fire engine was known as the “Resolution”, another hand pumped engine, and it arrived in the year of 1848. Over the years, another engine was purchased and known as “PET”, in the year of 1859. Both Resolution and PET were housed together in a two story house on E. Main Street.

Later through the years, Newville finally got its own water system, the fire company began to grow.

There were many major fires over the years in Newville, such as the Hays Pottery Store in 1873.

On January 10, 1874 it was decided that the name of the company should be changed from the Resolution Fire Company to the Newville Fire Company, but on April 22, 1874 it was changed to the Friendship Hose Company.

Up through the years of 1961, many other fire engines have come and gone, serving their purpose for the fire company and the residents of the community.

The Newville Ambulance Club was started on June 9, 1964. In October 1971, the first ambulance, a Cadillac was purchased. Later in 1975, a second ambulance, Dodge National was purchased.

In February 1976, a motion was made to purchase the former Newville High School on E. Big Spring Avenue for the future fire station. Three years later, May 1979, the property became the official home of the Friendship Hose Company.
EMS
In February 1976, a motion was made to purchase the former Newville High School on E. Big Spring Avenue for the future fire station. Three years later, May 1979, the property became the official home of the Friendship Hose Company.

As of today, the company is housed with two ambulances, brush truck, utility truck, rescue truck, min-pumper, and two engines.

The company also houses a paramedic unit that is operated by West Shore.

The company also has a junior membership program and ladies auxiliary.



 

 


Office Phone

  • Phone:

    717-776-4747
    FOR EMERGENCIES dial 911