THE NEWVILLE FOUNTAIN FESTIVAL RETURNS JUNE 16-17, 2017
This year’s theme: “TELEVISION COMES TO NEWVILLE”.
OUR NEXT PLANNING SESSION WILL BE HELD ON THURSDAY, APRIL 13, 2017 at 7:00PM IN THE NEWVILLE BOROUGH OFFICE at 4WEST STREET. VOLUNTEERS ARE WELCOME!
STAY TUNED FOR MORE DETAILS OF FOUNTAIN FESTIVAL 2017
To register for the Porch Decorating Contest, please call the Borough Office at 776-7633
Volunteers are needed to help organize the parade. If you would like to help, please call Carolyn Kough at 776-3533.
Workers are needed for both days of the event. This is a great opportunity for college students to earn extra money. Contact Fred Potzer at 776-7633 if you would like to help.
NEWVILLE FOUNTAIN FESTIVAL COMMITTEE
MARCH 9, 2017 AT 7PM
Members in Attendance: Carolyn Kough, Chairman, Kathy Lloyd, Kristi Keebaugh, Clarence Fry, Robert Barrick, Dr. Becky Barrick, Nancy Baker, Elizabeth McElwain, Pat Reed, Fred Potzer and Curtis Garland for the Valley Times Star.
1. Food Vendors: Contracts have been prepared and picked up by Judy Hockensmith.
2. Craft Vendors: Fred met with Bob Shively and reviewed the craft vendor program from 2016. Bob will provide Fred with contract information and a mailing list of vendors. WEMA members wish to remain involved, although
not from and administrative standpoint. WEMA is willing to provide support on Friday and Saturday to coordinate moving vendors to their spaces, and making power available. Fred suggested the borough would be happy to
provide administrative support if reimbursed for postage. The committee agreed to the request. WEMA will continue to receive one-half of the proceeds from the vendor registrations. This was also agreed to by the committee
3. Friday Evening Events:
• Lizzie McElwain is chairing the TV personality look-alike contest. She is working to enlist judges, secure prizes, and will establish guidelines for participation. This event is scheduled for 5:30PM, Friday, June 16, 2017.
• Carolyn has made arrangements with the Shippensburg Swing Band to perform at 6:30PM on Friday evening.
• The committee members agreed to provide approximately $1,160 in prize money to the winners in each division of the Fountain Festival Parade. The parade is scheduled for 7:30PM on Friday evening. Line-up will begin at
6:30PM on Broad Street. Scott Donato will serve as Master of Ceremonies for the Parade.
• Scott Donato will host a street dance on Big Spring Avenue following the parade.
• Robert Over will present a slide show at the former Farmers National Bank, 1 West Big Spring Avenue following the parade. Matt Tuckey has granted permission for the use of the building. The borough will provide a podium
and chairs for the event.
• Kristi Keebaugh suggested a movie for children on Friday evening. Mr. Barrick obtained permission from Dr. Fry to show a Disney Movie at the Newville Elementary School on
Friday evening. More details to follow at the next meeting.
4. Saturday Events:
• Nancy Baker reported that the Friendship Hose Company will begin to cook the breakfast at 5:30AM, and will be ready to serve from 7:00AM to 10:00AM.
• Rausa Roscinski will be coordinating the sidewalk chalk contest on West Street. Pre-registration at the Borough Office will be required.
• F&M Trust is sponsoring the baking contest. Lizzy McElwain suggested that a baking contest featuring blueberry recipes. The primary fundraiser of the Big Spring Kiwanis is the annual blueberry sale. Members felt this was
a wonderful way to support Kiwanis. Lizzy will continue to work on this for the next meeting.
• Chuck Egger is in charge of the 5K run, and plans for that event are progressing.
• Jane Graham will guide the graveyard tour at the Big Spring Presbyterian Church on Saturday at 10:00AM.
• The Big Spring Kiwanis will sponsor prize money for the Duck Derby, according to Lizzy McElwain. The Duck Derby is set for Saturday, 12:00Noon at Laughlin Mill.
• Becky Barrick reported plans are progressing to the recycled car race. She has discussed the event with Boy Scout Troop 174, and they are willing to support the event.
• The members reviewed a prepared news release announcing the upcoming Fountain Festival. The release was approved for dissemination.
• Kristi Keebaugh would like to help with Kids Alley. Ben Jones of Movement Outreach also would like to help. They are interested in receiving candy to be given out as prize money to children who participate in Kids Alley.
Plans are to conduct Kids Alley at the rear of the John Graham Library. Pat Reed reported the Petting Zoo will move to Parsonage Street, to be closer to the children’s events.
• The Car Show will move to the Newville Community Park. Members approved a contract with Tom Brink to serve as DJ from 9:00AM to 2:00PM at a cost of $250. The show will expand to feature antique and classic cars,
antique tractors, along with hit and miss engines. Kathy Lloyd suggested an $8-$10 registration fee per car to offset the expenses.
• The committee authorized Carolyn Kough to sign a grant application to the Cumberland County Tourism Bureau for a $3,500 SNAP grant. If awarded, the funds will be used to pay for advertising, festival brochures, street
banners, venue signs and banners.
The next meeting of the Newville Fountain Festival Committee will be held on Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 7:00PM in the Newville Borough Office.
Minutes recorded by:
FRED A. POTZER
Some photos for your enjoyment of previous Newville Fountain Festivals….....................
Pictures of 2015 Fountain Festival
Direction Map of Newville Borough