The committee at this time is Carolyn Kough, Judy Hockensmith, Bob Shivley, Dick Copenhaver, Tim Wolfe, Karen Ward and Fred Potzer.
The committee held a meeting on Monday, February 24, 2014.
The 2014 Newville Fountain Festival will be held on June 20-21, 2014. The theme of the event will be “Newville Remembers the Fabulous Fifties!”
• The Halloween Parade food stand netted a profit of $442.49.
• Saturday, April 26, 2014 from 10AM to 1PM(?) will be the time and date of the annual Chicken Barbeque. Volunteers are needed to work the stand. Desert items, pre-wrapped and easy to handle will be appreciated. There will be
no drink with the meal this year. The members agreed upon preparing 350 chicken halves. Frank Yost will prepare the chicken. Stand to be set up in the ACNB parking lot.
• Judy Hockensmith reported that she has received several calls for food vendors. Contracts are needed for the vendors. Fred will supply.
• Dick Copenhaver reported that plans for the car show are progressing well.
• Jody Hockensmith has received inquiries from 2 new vendors: Mom and Pop’s Hot Dog Stand and Beidler’s Soft Pretzels. The committee agreed to send contracts to the two new vendors.
• Carolyn commented that the theme of the festival this year is fairly broad. The members provided the following suggestions:
-Fifties music, possibly a DJ on Friday night followed by the line dance.
-Live music, perhaps a 50’s band. Several band names were provided. Carolyn will follow up to determine cost.
-Walkers dressed in 1950’s era clothing.
-A 50’s costume contest, possibly in conjunction with the parade.
-A jitterbug and 50’s dance contest.
-Shippensburg Swing Band – live on stage either Friday night or Saturday.
-A 50’s trivia contest – Lions vs. Kiwanis. Ed Sinkovitz agreed to MC the event.
-A photo both provided by Dillon Strouse.
-Laverne Smith, champion roller skater, invited to skate in the parade.
-A walking tour of Newville highlight popular establishments of the 50’s. This concept evolved into a static display at the old ACNB Bank, motorized guided tours with the Newville Trolley.
• Traditional Fountain Festival Events returning this year:
-Horse drawn carriage rides provided by the Bunning’s.
-Baking contest sponsored by F&M Trust.
• Dick Copenhaver commented Newville once had five car dealerships. It would be nice to put together a display, old photos and memorabilia in conjunction with the car show.
• With Newville nostalgia playing such a crucial role in the preparation of the Fountain Festival, it was decided to invite a representative of the Newville Historical Society to attend the next meeting.
Next Meeting: Monday. March 17, 2014 at 7:00PM in the Borough Office. Please bring along ideas for possible sponsors to help finance the live entertainment suggested for this year’s festival.
Anyone wishing to become a member of the Newville Fountain Festival Committee should contact Chairman Carolyn Kough. Volunteers and new members are welcome.
Carolyn Kough - Long time Chairman of Fountain Festival Committee
Pictures of 2012 Fountain Festival
Direction Map of Newville Borough