The Newville Economic Development Authority, created by the Borough of Newville, has been designated as the lead organization for working with your existing or prospective business, providing you with the information you need in your decision to locate or expand your business. Our goal is to grow Newville's economy, not just because it's good for our community but also because we think our demographics assure that your business will succeed here.
Our Business Recruitment Guide provides current information about Newville and the many benefits of opening a business.
15 Reasons to Open a Business in Newville
- Affordable properties to rent or buy
- No business privilege or gross receipts tax
- Walkable town center
- Trail community with related business opportunities
- World renowned fishing on the Big Spring
- Rich history & historical ambiance
- Economic development organization to assist local businesses
- School district ranked above average
- Full-time professionally staffed and community oriented municipal police department
- Proximity to state parks
- Annual Events such as Fountain Festival & holiday parades
- Proximity to major metro areas via nearby 1-81 exit
- Pro-business local government
- Located ten miles from Shippensburg University
- Abundant locaI employment opportunities in warehouse sector
Steps to Establish A Business in Newville
- Arrange to meet with the Borough Manager Fred Potzer to discuss your plans informally. The Borough Office is open Monday through Friday, 8AM to 4:30PM. Contact the borough manager at (717) 776-7633 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Borough of Newville does not levy a Business Privilege Tax or a Mercantile Tax, therefore there is no license required to operate a business in Newville. The borough does levy a Local Service Tax on all persons working at businesses in the borough. Please contact the Cumberland County Tax Bureau, 21 Waterford Drive, Suite 201, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050, (717) 590-7997 in order to register.
- The Newville Borough Zoning Ordinance will provide the guidance needed to open and operate a business in Newville. If your new business is a permitted use within a borough zone district, the process may be as simple as completing a basic zoning application, submitting the application to the Zoning Officer who may then issue a Zoning Permit for the new business. The Newville Borough Zoning Officer is Shannon Schake, PA Municipal Code Alliance, 380 Wayne Avenue, Chambersburg, PA 17201, telephone (717) 809-2210, or email at email@example.com. The zoning permit fee for a commercial use application is $50.00.
- If the proposed business is not a conforming use within a zone district, a conditional use permit may be required. The permit application and guidelines are available from the Zoning Officer. This process requires the review of the Planning Commission and a hearing before the Borough Council. This process may take up to sixty (60) days to complete. The application fee for a conditional use is $350.00.
- If the proposed business may involve the construction of a new building, the process may take between sixty (60) to ninety (90) days to complete as land use approvals and reviews may be required by the Cumberland County Planning Commission, the Newville Borough Planning Commission and the Newville Borough Council. If a new facility is constructed, the Commonwealth Code Inspection Service, Newville Borough’s third-party building code official may issue a commercial building permit. The Commonwealth Code Inspection Office is located in the borough for your convenience at 4 West Big Spring Avenue. Hours of operation are Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8:00AM to 12:00PM, telephone (717) 776-9949.
You will find the officials of Newville Borough including the Administration, Planning Commission, Economic Development Authority, Water and Sewer Authority and Borough Council ready to assist you in any way to help ensure the success of your new business.